In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, face masks have increasingly become an essential part of our lives.
While they help combat the easily widespread virus, they have also given rise to a new skin concern known as “maskne” or mask-related acne.
The continuous use of face masks leads to increased oil production and trapped sweat and dirt clogging pores, resulting in irritated skin.
Sudden acne breakouts can be detrimental to one’s self-confidence.
In this article, we will examine effective strategies to combat maskne, allowing you to regain blemish-free skin.
- Cleanse and moisturize: Use a gentle cleanser to help remove excess dirt or oil from your face. Follow it up with a non-comedogenic and lightweight moisturizer to keep skin supple and hydrated.
- Practice good mask hygiene: Wash your mask with a fragrance-free detergent and avoid using harsh fabrics or sheets that irritate the skin.
- Limit makeup: Heavy makeup can further damage the skin and clog pores. Opt for oil-free and non-comedogenic products to let the skin breathe.
- Choose the right mask: Masks made of breathable Cotton fabrics are best for use on the skin. Synthetic materials tend to trap moisture, leading to bacterial growth.
- Keep skin clean: Gentle cleansers help eliminate excess oil and dirt buildup from your skin. Wash your face twice a day for the best results.
- Incorporate gentle skin care products: Use products with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid in your skincare routine that helps combat acne. Make sure to avoid excessive use to avoid drying out your skin.
- Moisturize with care: Use lightweight, gel-based products that moisturize the skin effectively without adding additional oil.
- Do not touch your face repeatedly: Minimize touching, picking, or rubbing your face. It can easily transfer dirt and bacteria from your hands to the skin.
Maskne or mask-related acne can lead to skin irritation, sudden acne breakouts, and excess oil production.
This results in the skin feeling trapped and overstimulated sebaceous glands.
While maskne can be frustrating, it is not an impossible challenge. Sticking to these preventative measures and following a consistent skincare routine can help maintain healthy, clearer skin.
If you’re experiencing persistent acne scars, it’s essential to pay heed to what your skin needs and seek a dermatologist’s help.
With thoughtful attention and care, you can keep maskne at bay and face these challenging times confidently.