As a severe form of acne, Nodular acne can have a tremendous impact on an individual’s self-esteem and well-being.
In this blog, we will explore the origins of nodular acne and shed light on how to tackle it head-on:
Causes of Nodular Acne
Nodular acne is primarily caused by excess sebum production, the skin’s natural oil, that clogs hair follicles.
Several factors contribute to increased sebum production, such as hormonal imbalances, dietary factors, genetic makeup, stress, and so on.
In certain cases, the onset of nodular acne can be the side effect of consuming medications such as birth control pills. Other contributing factors may also be the consumption of oily, greasy food or the lack of a proper skincare routine with changes in skin texture.
Effective treatment options
- Dermatological consultation: Seeking the help and guidance of a dermatologist is pivotal in accurately diagnosing nodular acne to create a personal acne treatment plan.
- Prescription medications: To address the underlying causes of nodular acne, dermatologists may recommend oral antibiotics, hormonal therapies, or retinoids.
They are effective in regulating sebum production and preventing inflammation and future breakouts.
- Isotretinoin: Isotretinoin( commonly prescribed as Accutane), is an effective medication for severe forms of acne.
It works primarily by shrinking oil glands, controlling excess sebum production, and preventing clogged pores.
- Skincare routine: Non-comedogenic products in your skincare regimen can help alleviate the chance of possible future acne breakouts.
Gentle cleansing, exfoliation, and a moisturizer for oily acne-prone skin can gradually help unclog pores for a refined texture.
- Lifestyle modifications: Leading a balanced, healthy lifestyle by incorporating a nutritious diet, stress management, and regular exercise can get you closer to the skin of your dreams.
Consumption of ultra-processed and greasy foods is detrimental to your skin’s health and texture.
When battling a deep skin condition such as nodular acne, patience, and self-love help yield great results.
A combination of a healthy diet and a powerful skincare regimen can work wonders for your skin condition.